There is widespread public concern over perceived ‘political apathy’ among young Europeans disillusioned by formal politics as well as about the potential for the ‘radicalisation’ of the young where they have borne the brunt of austerity policies or feel threatened by changing patterns of immigration or stereotyping of immigrant communities. MYPLACE research findings are informing public debate around these issues through contributions to mainstream broadcasting media, high profile blogging sites and a range of visual and online resources made in the course of the project.
The MYPLACE blog is home to more than 100 short articles in which researchers respond quickly to unfolding events and comment on contemporary news issues.
Contributions to LSE British Politics and Policy blog on:
- Democracy and the populist radical right in the wake of the UK referendum on EU membership;
- Young people’s political (dis)engagement
- Young people’s political participation through football fandom
- Anti-austerity protests in Portugal
- Euroscepticism in Germany
- Memories of urban decline among youth in the UK (West Midlands)
- Attitudes of young Germans towards the EU
- Austerity and Euroscepticism in the ‘Grexit’ debate
Contributions to Policy@Manchester blog on:
- Counter-extremism legislation in the UK
- Why young people don’t vote
- Attitudes of young Germans to EU
Contributions to Berliner Debatte Initial on:
- Opposition to right-wing extremism (Jena)
- Growth of the radical right in rural and left-behind regions
- Social innovation in right-wing extremism
Contributions to other NGO and policy related blogs on:
Contributions to the press include:
- Izglitiba un kultura
- Rossiiskaya gazeta
- Slobodna Dalmacija
- Novi list
Five documentary films based on MYPLACE ethnographic research into youth activism in the UK, Russia and Portugal All these films are available here.
A photo album with explanatory notes from fieldwork in Latvia, Greece, Russia, Slovakia, UK and Spain is available here.
The DANDELION project – Promoting EU-funded projects, working in the field of inclusive, innovative and reflective societies http://www.dandelion-europe.eu/en/. The material used in preparing the scenario and the contents of the game has been extracted from public deliverables, policy briefs and fact sheets of FP7 and H2020 Project, including MYPLACE Project.